The course introduces students to the theoretical framework, principles, and practice of international accounting. Students will be exposed to the modern research methodology and the latest quantitative and qualitative research techniques used to examine practices in international corporate reporting. Students will gain insight into the issues that confront accounting information preparers and users in a highly globalized reporting environment.
- Appreciate that there are important differences between the accounting policies and practices adopted in different countries.
- Understand various theoretical explanations about why countries adopt particular accounting practices in preference to others.
- Explain what is meant by the term harmonization (or standardization) of accounting.
- Identify and explain some of the perceived benefits of, and obstacles to, harmonizing or standardizing accounting practices on an international scale.
- Understand the key factors which are leading to greater international harmonization of accounting – especially within the European Union.