This course is for students pursuing a career in the health sciences. Overview of topics such as learning, sensation and perception, personality, lifespan development, physiological basis of behavior, stress and health, psychological disorders, social psychology, and research methods with emphasis on the health sciences (and its application).
- Understand the major theories that guide the field of health psychology.
- Be able to assess claims made in popular and empirical media for their scientific merit.
- Understand and be able to articulate the role of psychological factors in health and illness.
- Apply the practical information gained in the course to personal lifestyle choices.
- Critically review professional journal article in health sciences for illustration of course concepts.