This course provides for an understanding of the principal theories of counseling and psychotherapy; and understanding of the similarities and differences in the various major theories and techniques; and for a development of the ability to evaluate the need for counseling and/or psychotherapy in problem areas.
- a proficiency in reading and writing within the conceptual framework of psychotherapy;
- an oral proficiency in understanding the genesis of psychotherapy;
- an ability to identify, analyze, and question the origin of various analysis models;
- a familiarity with understanding the rationale of psychotherapy within a society;
- and a familiarity with the contemporary psychotherapy theory.