This course provides a survey of the historical development western institutions, ideas, and cultures that have developed in the ancient times as well as the era of European expansion.
- Demonstrate an understanding of the central events and institutions of Western Civilization.
- Describe and analyze the historical, political, economic, and cultural impact of the West on other areas of the world.
- Apply historical knowledge to evaluate contemporary issues or problems.
- Describe the institutions, political economy, and society in at least five major eras of Western civilization and their impacts on perceptions and treatment of the environment.
- Research, interpret, and analyze historical data from an interdisciplinary perspective.
- Compare and contrast one of the themes in the development of Western civilization to the development of another world civilization and relate that contrast to effects on the environment.