This course introduces students to three main themes under employment law. These are employment status, employment contracts, and employment termination. Through this course, students will understand relevant employment laws in the Commonwealth Countries; and acquire a critical view of the law in broader social, economic, political, and historical contexts.
- Comprehensively discuss the nature, principles, and functions of employment law.
- Analyze the differences between employees’ categories and their importance on the rights and obligations of employees and employers.
- Explain the various terms and conditions of a contract of employment.
- Differentiate between the various types of termination of a contract of employment and their consequences.
- The importance and impacts of international standards on employment laws in the Commonwealth Countries.
- Engage with primary sources of employment law for developing critical perspectives regarding controversies in this area.