Students will be afforded the opportunity to engage in an in-depth study of the principles, concepts, and theories applicable to the investigation procedures used by law enforcement agents and agencies. Students will be required to become familiar with the techniques and processes used in investigative processing of evidence and analyze case law that affects criminal investigations.
- Acquire an understanding of the duties and responsibilities of a criminal investigator.
- Understand the laws governing investigative practices, procedures, and operations.
- Examine the standard procedures for violent and property crime investigations.
- Analyze emerging protocols for the investigation of high-tech and exotic crimes.
- Articulate informed opinion about crime scene analysis and investigative response.
- Identify the elements of a successfully prosecuted criminal investigation.
- Appreciate the challenges of complex case investigations.