Developing leadership capability in teaching, which has proved to be an interesting and contested project, is the intention and aspiration of this course. Students will discuss competencies required for leadership in teaching. This course also provides an opportunity for students to extend their range of strategies and skills, and strengthen their leadership and management practices.
- Examine personal rationales for being a teacher leader.
- Describe the concept of personal leadership styles.
- Identify the qualities of effective leadership.
- Analyze current approaches to educational leadership. Examine leadership roles of teachers, resource teachers, and administrators.
- Identify the dispositions necessary to be an effective coach and mentor.
- Create a process for collaborating with school and community stakeholders to create positive change in the school environment.