Students will examine the nature of raising early stage capital, with emphasis on early stages of company development and on start-up ventures. This course prepares business students to maximize the use of outside advisors as well as to build long-term relationships with funding sources.
- Examine the elements of raising early stage capital, focusing on start-up ventures and the early stages of company development.
- Analyze the best use of outside advisors, and to negotiate effective long-term relationships with funding sources.
- Working in teams, students interact with venture capitalists and other professionals throughout the semester.
- Understand the tactics involved in negotiating and building effective, long-term relationships with investors, including venture capitalists and angels.
- Understand venture capital as a business; the legal framework of the investment process and its related jargon; market practice and standards for term sheet negotiation; and strategies in identifying the optimal form of early stage capital.