This course will provide an overview of the federal bankruptcy law and rights of creditors and debtors. Emphasis is placed upon bankruptcy procedures in Chapter 7, 11, 12, and 13 of the U.S. Bankruptcy Code. Students will learn how to prepare and file bankruptcy forms, collection letters, and UCC search and post-judgment collections.
- Understand the relationship of bankruptcy law to state law and non-bankruptcy debt collection procedures.
- Analyze the initiation of a bankruptcy case under Chapters 7, 13, and 11.
- Learn the formation and administration of the bankruptcy estate and estate property.
- Understand the exemptions to which a debtor is entitled under state or federal law.
- Comprehend the ability of the trustee or debtor in possession to avoid preferential or fraudulent transfer of assets for the benefit of the estate.
- Understand the bankruptcy discharge.