This course covers the key writings of Dominican and Jesuit theologians whose works laid the groundwork and contributed to the reforms of Vatican II. The Vatican course will undertake critical textual studies of these theologians, and students will analyze the crucial arguments of the “return to sources” initiatives in historical, liturgical and patristic studies undertaken prior to Vatican II. This course also explains the doctrine of the Church on the Sacrament of Orders. Lastly, The Vatican course will study the reflection of different theologians since Vatican II on this doctrine.
- Understand the text of Dominican and Jesuit theologians and explain their relevance to contemporary ecclesial concerns.
- Assess the impacts of these theologians on major Vatican documents.
- Demonstrate research and analytical skills in theology at the postgraduate level.
- Gain an in-depth knowledge of the perspectives and teachings of Vatican II.
- Understand post-conciliar teaching.
- Critically interpret magisterial, patristic and scriptural sources.